A BYU sports blog

Saturday, December 20, 2008

Live Blogging: End of the 1st Quarter EagleBank Bowl

OK, so this has been some pretty ugly football. I guess I shouldn't completely be surprised. Neither one of these teams is terribly good and strong running games that are purely strong running games often can be. The score is currently 10-0 Navy. I think the biggest disappointment, other than the coverage which I'll get to, has been Wake's lack of a passing game. It's not that they have been poor at passing, they just haven't done it. I believe there's been 3 passing plays from wake: 1 screen, 1 scramble, and a decent pass to the middle of the field on a hitch. Riley Skinner really is something impressive, why are they not passing? The Navy rushing game has been looking decent. It's mostly been big plays or bust. The first score came off a series where not much happened other than a Shun White 39 yard rush. They're doing an OK job of moving the ball normally, but they just can't quite close it. The only TD came off a strip by the Navy defence that they ran back for the score. We'll see how things go next quarter.

As a note as far as the coverage, TERRIBLE! Wow, it's been a while since I've seen anything this bad. I really think the coverage is worse on this than the mtn. That's saying a lot. The camera work has been shoddy at best. It appears they've only got like 2 cameras going. That was an issue on the fumble. I'm not positive it was a fumble because first of all, they didn't even bother showing a replay originally before going to commercial. I've never seen that before. It was so dumb. Also, they didn't show more than one angle. That's it. How on earth do you look at a fumble from one angle, especially when the "fumble" that occurred happened while the ball carrier was behind another player so you can't even see the ball pop out. Terrible. The commentary has been pretty bad as well. My favorite: They bring up how one of the Navy defenders was giving Riley Skinner pressure on a pass play, the only problem was it was a screen. That's the whole point of a screen, he's supposed to get past the offensive line and "give" the QB pressure. Wow dumb. The color guy seems to fall over his words in general and can't keep the teams straight. I think there's at least 3 times in just the first quarter alone that he's struggled to keep the teams straight. Also, I heard one of the commentators liken Kaipo-Noa Kaheaku-Enhada, the Navy QB, to Graham Harrell of Texas Tech. I'm sorry the only thing that those two have in common: they're both quarterbacks, and Kaipo that's only on a technicality because that's what the position that takes the ball after the snap is traditionally called. You can't tell me an option quarterback is ANYTHING like a guy who throws the ball 40+ times a game. Wow dumb.

Hopefully things get better in general, but I'm not holding my breath.

No comments:

Post a Comment